Saturday, April 11, 2009

Little Hunter's Evaluation


Recently we had been seeing some troubling things with Hunter. He seemed to be always unhappy and in need of something that we just couldn't figure out what it was. We new that Mason has Sensory Processing Disorder and were wondering if this could be the answer for Hunter too. So we went throught the long process of evaluation after evaluation. He say 4 different therapist and evaluators and the results were as i suspected. Hunter also has Sensory Processing Disorder or SPD for short.

We found out that he is saverly sensory seeking. This means that his body is in need of constant rough imput. I don't really know how else to say it. The said to me that he probably feels like his skin is crawling all the time and therefore completely uncomfortable.

This disorder was explained to me as their brain just doesn't process the 5 senses properly. The goal, through therapy, is to change the way that the body and brain process the imput the are getting through their 5 senses. Complicated and very confusing. And worse of all, they look so normal that many people just don't get that they have real problems that need addressing.

We love our kids. I would do anything i can to help them. Life everyday is hard and full of challenges i really don't understand how to handle. I have always been told that god will not give you more than you can handle, but sometimes i just wonder. I spend alot of time on my knees asking for help, guidance, and patients, and i guess that is all i can do.

2 comments:

The Loesevitz Family - said...

You are an AMAZING mom and everything will work out. Soon the boys will be older (they grow so fast) so that will make therapy a lot easier, and someday, they will be able to help themselves with SPD, and life will be so much more normal for you. Don't be down on yourself, Mason and Hunter got the best mom ever to help them deal with all of this. You're a strong mama, and you give me LOTS of inspiration! Love ya girl!

D, A, B, Z, and Ak said...

I found you!!! (: I didn't know you had a blog?! I haven't had time to go back and read all your entries although I want to. (: We don't list our first names on our blog - but you'll remember us - we go back to before you got married lovely 4th Ward memories!!! (: